Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mozart Effect...have you listened to his Requiem?

Ever heard of the Mozart Effect?  Well, some experts say that it doesn't work or doesn't exist. I'm sure that everyone will agree that listenting to music can be influential on your mood and perhaps even your motivational drive. When I'm driving my car for an extended length, I prefer upbeat music that is engaging. When I'm tired and relaxing with a nice glass of cabernet (Silver Oak is always good...just too expensive), I prefer more cerebral or slower music. Either way, classical music fits the bill. For those new comers to classical music who really don't know where to start their education, I would recommend Mozart's Requiem. First of all, get past the fact that it is a death mass. Think more about the fact that it is music that Mozart wrote when he was in his full maturity at the end of his life. Listen to the different parts of the mass and note the different textures in the music - some feature solo instruments or voices. It can be really calming and/or enthralling to read a little on a classical work before listening to it. You can also find some FREE information online about the work sometimes even with a graphical chart with which to follow.

Many studies (here's one that is interesting: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1281386) have been made on the Mozart Effect, some with more credibility than others. It seems that there could be an increase in brain power after listening to classical music. Although, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I've been listening or actively engaged in creating classical music for well over 25 years. But don't let me through the curve! 

Nonetheless, if music motivates you to study more, or stimulates you towards a stronger vilance, then that's fantastic! Whether it can make you smarter or not, well I'll leave that to the PhD's out there to argue. I can't help but see some effectiveness. One thing for sure, it doesn't hurt to listen to more music, and Mozart is a pretty cool composer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment